ISBN Rendering

Hi there,

How can I generate/render an ISBN barcode using PDFTron library (Java) ?

ISBN barcodes have a specific structure and therefore using a regular barcode font is the wrong way to do it.

The iText library has this capability (BarcodeEAN class, Barcode.EAN13 code type). However, we are trying to replace iText with PDFTron, but generating ISBN barcodes is essential.

Please provide some sample code.

Thanks

There is currently not a specific class for creating barcodes, but certainly PDFNet will render this sort of content correctly.

We always take into account user interest in new features, so thank you for letting us know that this is important for you.

ISBN barcodes have a specific structure and therefore using a regular barcode font is the wrong way to do it.

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by this?

I cannot find any font that PDFNet could use to properly render EAN-13 barcodes as it has a specific structure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Article_Number_(EAN)

There are libraries/tools that help you generate ISBN (EAN-13) barcodes ( e.g. iText ) and many others. Since we are replacing iText with PDFNet, we need to replace ISBN generation as well with one that PDFNet provides, however I cannot find any documentation about this.

Could you please provide sample code (preferably in Java) on how PDFNet generates EAN-13 barcodes ?

An ISBN barcode has a particular structure:
- top text
- actual barcode, with bars of different heights
- bottom digits
- for an exact structure, check wikipedia (apparently I cannot add links here)

Libraries like iText can generate barcodes, including ISBN barcodes. Since we are trying to replace iText with PDFNet for PDF (book) processing we need to also generate ISBN barcodes. However, I cannot find any documentation about this. It is a showstopper.