Can you reproduce using one of our samples or online demos? Yes
Are you using the WebViewer server? No
Does the issue only happen on certain browsers? No
Is your issue related to a front-end framework? No
Is your issue related to annotations? No

Please give a brief summary of your issue:

Image viewer fails when trying to load images other than the provided samples

Please describe your issue and provide steps to reproduce it:

1. Open the sample / demo viewer at PDFTron WebViewer Demo: JavaScript PDF Viewer Demo
  2. Choose a basic PNG or JPEG file, e.g. from https://filesamples.com/formats/png
  3. Popup appears with message: “Failed to load image”

Hello, I’m Ron, an automated tech support bot :robot:

While you wait for one of our customer support representatives to get back to you, please check out some of these documentation pages:

Guides:APIs:Forums:

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are looking into this issue.

Hi Andre
It looks like WebViewer getting a 403 HTTP error, it may be that server is not allowing to download the image. Maybe this image hosting server, there are server rules that prevent accessing images like that.

I noticed the error message as well, but I don’t think that’s the problem.
Just try the same file by downloading it to your computer first, and then uploading it manually to the viewer. Same error.
And I tried with multiple images of my own (png and jpg(, always resulting in this error.

@Sardor_Isakov any news on this issue? Thanks!

Hi Andre
I apologize for the delay, it looks like my last reply did not get posted to this forum.

The server which is hosting images looks like needs to set a cross-origin resource policy
Cross-Origin-Resource-Policy: cross-origin

Thanks @Sardor_Isakov, but that was not the issue. See my comment above:
The same error appears after manual upload to your online demo, so it can’t be a CORS issue.

Hi Andre,
I investigated the manual upload issue, it looks like it is a kind of a separate issue and we fixing it. Also, we are investigating it further with the image URL.

It looks like the file server is simply refusing to server the file, it is erroring with a 403 HTTP error, and the file server is not including CORS related header. We can not do anything at this point unless the file server allows serving png files.

Maybe I wasn’t clear: The issue I posted was about loading image files in general, unrelated to how (manual upload or via link). If you are fixing the manual upload issue, that is fine for me.

In any case, you might want to make sure your demo viewer works for images, too.
Using the image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Test.gif:

We recently updated Image document processing and it looks like there were a few unforeseen bugs, and demo website has those bugs, but we are actively working on fixing them. For example, this demo page has more recent WV fixes, and I can open this URL https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Test.gif