Supported file types for XOD conversion

Hello,

I have some questions about file type support for XOD conversion. Some of the comments in the WebViewerConvertTest file says this:

Certain file formats such as PDF, generic XPS, EMF, and raster image formats can be directly converted to XOD. Other formats such as MS Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint, etc) can be directly converted via interop. These types of conversions guarantee optimal output, while preserving important information such as document metadata, intra document links and hyper-links, bookmarks etc.

In case there is no direct conversion available, PDFNet can still convert from any printable document to XOD using a virtual printer driver. To check if a virtual printer is required use Convert::RequiresPrinter(filename). In this case the installing application must be run as administrator. The manifest for this sample specifies appropriate the UAC elevation. The administrator privileges are not required for direct or interop conversions.

1. Is there a FULL list of file types that can be directly converted to XOD?
  2. Is there a FULL list of file types that are converted via interop?
  3. Am I correct in assuming that if a file type doesn’t fall into one of the above two categories, that in order for the virtual print driver to print, there must be an application installed on the machine that has the ability to print that file type?

Thanks!

Hi Ryan,

I didn't understand that there must be an application installed on the machine which has the ability to print that file type.

I have using WebViewerConvertTest demo to convert office files and fail. What should I do?

Thanks,
Richard

If Office file conversion is failing, and you do not have Office installed, then you need read the two links I mentioned at the end of my previous post.

If you do have office installed, then probably there is an issue with the office service, or one of the processes being stuck (e.g. Word, Excel, etc).

Try manually shutting down any office processes, and/or restarting any office service. Or restart the OS.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. I have office installed and pdftrondriver installed according to your suggestion.

It works succeed in WebViewConverterTest demo but not for my Web Form Application(C#).

In my project, I was deployed the project in IIS with using SATThread to convert office files. Did the SATThread cause failed? I want to control the convert service that it should be converted one file at the same time, other files should be in a queue.

Any suggestions for SATThread?

Thanks,
Richard

在 2014年7月18日星期五UTC+8上午1时20分47秒,Ryan写道:

If Office file conversion is failing, and you do not have Office installed, then you need read the two links I mentioned at the end of my previous post.

If you do have office installed, then probably there is an issue with the office service, or one of the processes being stuck (e.g. Word, Excel, etc).

Try manually shutting down any office processes, and/or restarting any office service. Or restart the OS.

On Thursday, 17 July 2014 03:06:39 UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:

Hi Ryan,

I didn’t understand that there must be an application installed on the machine which has the ability to print that file type.

I have using WebViewerConvertTest demo to convert office files and fail. What should I do?

Thanks,
Richard

Hello Richard,

For reference, is this the same issue as https://groups.google.com/d/msg/pdfnet-sdk/JbVBuAOiUfk/9y_98CMR2pwJ? If not, please post more details about the error, such as call stack and/or steps to reproduce. Thank you for your help.

Hi Keith, this list could obviously change in the future, but as it stands now, here is the answer to your question.

Important: Some of these conversions required additional licenses. You can contact sales if you don’t already have a license to see what is required for a particular conversion.

Is there a FULL list of file types that can be directly converted to XOD?

The following file types can be converted to XOD or PDF. On Desktop/Server HTML, EPUB, SVG outputs are also possible
========================================================

ALL Mobile/Server/Desktop PLATFORMS
pdf
docx, doc (with Direct Office Converter Add-on)
pptx (with Direct Office Converter Add-on)

xlsx (with Direct Office Converter Add-on)
xps, oxps, xod
bmp
emf
gif
jpe
jpg
jfif
jpeg
jpf
jpx
jp2
j2k
j2c
jpc
png
tif
tiff
hdp
wdp
wmf
jxr
md

txt, xml, cpp, hpp, monotext and plaintext (all treated as text files).

WEBVIEWER SERVER
All of the above

with Direct Office Converter Add-on the following is also included
ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx, doc, docx, rtf, odt, odp, ods, vds, vdx, pub, msg

with HTML2PDF add-on
html

with Advanced Image add-on
dcm, tiff, cut, cur, arw, aai, dcr, psd, gif, heic, heif, cals, dds, crw, jng, flif, mat, mtv, nef, orf, pfm, pix, raf

with CAD add-on
dwg, dwf, dxf, dgn, rvt

Additional DESKTOP/SERVER formats

with HTML2PDF module
html

with Advanced Image module
dicom
aai
arw
dcr
raf
heif/heic

with CAD module
dwg
dwf
dxf
dgn
rvt

WINDOWS DESKTOP/SERVER
dib (device independent bitmap)
rle

Is there a FULL list of file types that are converted via interop on Windows OS?
Word
docx
docm
dotx
doc
dotm
dot
rtf
mht
wps
wri
odt
txt
html (without HTML2PDF Module)

Excel
xlsx
xlsm
xltx
ods

PowerPoint
pptx
pptm
potx
ppt
pot
potm
ppsx
pps
ppsm
odp

Publisher
pub

Visio
vsd
vsx
vss
vst
vtx
vsw

Am I correct in assuming that if a file type doesn’t fall into one of the above two categories, that in order for the virtual print driver to print, there must be an application installed on the machine that has the ability to print that file type?
Yes, that is correct. For details on how to do this on a Server/Desktop computer see the following.
https://community.pdftron.com/t/office-word-viewer/1863