PDF digital signatures for iOS & Android and some licensing questions

Q:

I have few queries, regarding digital signatures and licensing for Mobile PDFNet SDK (iOS, Android, etc)

Can we have a signature in a interactive form ?

o Will that signature be embedded along with the PDF form ?

o Will it be saved separately ?

o What does digital signature test file do in the code base ?

How does your licensing works ?

o When I purchase your license will you give me a different library ?

o Is there any restriction on the features in the demo lib that you have provided to us ?

A:

Can we have a signature in a interactive form ?

Yes, PDFNet can be used to sign, view, and manipulate PDF with digital signatures

Will that signature be embedded along with the PDF form ?

The signature is used to ‘sign’ a document but it is not directly embedded in the file (since someone else could steal your identity). Instead a certificate for the specific document is embedded in the document and your original signature can be used to validate authenticity of the document.

What does digital signature test file do in the code base ?

Not sure to what you are referring to but PDFNet SDK comes with a sample project called ‘DigitalSignatures’ that shows you how to sign an existing PDF doc.

http://www.pdftron.com/pdfnet/samplecode.html#sig

This sample references a signature file (’ \Samples\TestFiles pdftron.pfx’). This is a dummy signature that should not be used for production use (i.e. you should use your own signatures).

How does your licensing works ?

The first step would be to fill out the OEM application form http://www.pdftron.com/store/oem.html and our sales would get back to you with details.

PDFNet is licensed per application and depends on multiple factors (e.g. the type of application, required feature set, the percentage PDFNet contributes to the overall product, deployment size, etc.). For this reason it is important to fill out OEM form accurately and as much detail as possible. If you are developing the app for someone else you would need to specify the information related to the third partly.

When I purchase your license will you give me a different library ?

Yes, you will receive additional links as well as the source code for the tools library (tools.a on iOS; tools.jar on Android, or tools.dll for WinRT/WP8).

Is there any restriction on the features in the demo lib that you have provided to us ?

Yes, all processed files are watermarked with a demo tag. Also the library will stop working after certain period.

Update:

Starting with version 6.1.0 of the Android PDFNet SDK, the Tools library is now shipped as an Android Library, and its source code can be found in the samples folder. The package does not include the Tools.jar anymore, and you now have the flexibility to include the source directly into your project or create a separate library for your projects.