Q: I want to display a PDF in a browser and allow the client to edit several specific fields and retrieve the update doc.
You can use PDFTron WebViewer for the task. To find out more info about WebViewer please see: http://www.pdftron.com/pdfnet/webviewer/index.html and see a demo of the form-filling capabilities here: http://www.pdftron.com/pdfnet/webviewer/demo/samples.html.
Basically, the system would work like this:
- Server component based on PDFNet converts source PDF to XOD, an XPS-compatible format.
- Browser-based WebViewer component renders the XOD file (including fillable forms).
- WebViewer sends filled form data back to the PDFNet server component.
- PDFNet server component makes a new copy of the original PDF with new form data entered by the user.
- Browser can download PDF with filled forms.